* On 19 Jul 2012, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> "If you define a macro to work with a single entry, then it can not
> be applied to tagged entries just by using <tag-prefix>macro-key!!!"
> is flat-out false in every version of mutt I have access to.  This
> means that the entire section "Special usage: applying to several
> tagged entries" is both false and useless.

It's not false or useless, but it is incomplete.

What it means is that if a macro contains two or more operations, and
you press your <tag-prefix> keystroke before executing the macro, it
will execute the first operation on each tagged entry and then execute
each subsequent operation on the current entry, whichever entry happens
to be current after the first operation is done.

The current wording is correct in a logical sense, but not in a
practical sense.  Perhaps it should say:

If you define a macro to work with a single entry, then it can
not **necessarily** be applied to tagged entries just by using
<tag-prefix>macro-key!

Or:

If you define a macro to perform multiple actions, then it can not be
applied to tagged entries just by using <tag-prefix>macro-key!

Or:

<tag-prefix> affects only the next action performed by a macro, not the
entire macro as a whole.

--
David Champion • d...@uchicago.edu • IT Services • University of Chicago