> On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:28, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
>
> >>reply gone wrong; a reply to a mailinglist post. for some reason I
> >>press 'g' for group reply, instead of just 'r'
> >>
> >>so mutt asks about a reply to the mailinglist, and yeah, i dont want it
> >>there, so I press n, but it CC'ed the darn list as well.
> >>
> >>fwiw, the mlist in question is both listed under 'lists' and
> >>'subscribe' ...
> >>
> >>any (serious) ideas as to prevent such a meltdown from happening again?
> >>thanks.

On a related note, I'd like to suggest the following "intelligent" reply
feature.

When the default reply key (say 'r') is typed, mutt should automagically
know / ask whether to reply to list / all / sender only. It might use
some variant of the following algorithm.

1. Ask whether to reply to all. Have a quadoption configuration variable
   to determine whether group-reply is the default.

2. If the user chooses not to reply to all, and one of the addresses in
   the original message (either To: or Cc:) is a list address (specified
   via lists or subscribe), ask whether the reply goes to the sender
   or the list. Could have a quadopion configuration variable for this
   as well.

3. Could have a variable to control different handling for mailing list
   messages and other messages (e.g. I prefer group-reply by default for
   regular messages, and reply-to-list-only for list messages).

If this sounds reasonable and has not already been implemented as a patch,
I could give it a shot, but given my lack of familiarity with the codebase,
it's likely to take forever.

Sorry if this has already been discussed before. Grateful for any feedback,
mandar.