On 2013–02–19 James Griffin wrote:

> The first folder-hook is the default. It removes the coloured threading
> in folders such as my inbox and others that are not mailing list
> mailboxes or those which are not threaded, for whatever reason.

I use the same technique.

> The second folder-hook, in this case for my mutt mailing list mailbox,
> and the same is true for all other mailing list mailboxes, sets the
> colour black on green on mails that have my domain in the messages that
> have been followed up to in threads in which I have participated.

The problem is that ~x triggers on the References field. However,
the first message does not have a References field and unfortunately
that is the most important message to highlight, since that's the
only visible message (I collapse the threads by default).

One step further would be to trigger on messages I responded to.
That yields correct results if I respond to the original posting,
but it fails if I respond to a deeper nested mail in a long thread.

> The pattern ~(~something) is for doing things to messages within threads,
> as someone suggested already.

I couldn't get this working. But frankly, I didn't quite grasp yet
what it's supposed to do. I will read the docs once more and try
again later.

Marco