* Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> [02-27-13 13:56]:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 08:00:24AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
 [...]
> > Responding to "list" mail *should* be to the "list" unless op has
> > *specifically* requested direct mail.  All other action is illogical
> > and inefficient.
>
> Here's where I disagree.  There have been many, many times when I
> wanted to send a private reply to a mailing list post.  Usually it's
> because I have a remark that's not related to the post, per se.
> Neither the mailing list software, nor my client software, should get
> in the way of me replying however I damn well feel like replying.

And in my previous post I failed to address your statement correctly.  I
know you have control of your mail reading client, mutt, and can address
mail as you choose.  And this is how it *should* be.

But "list" mail is still a public thing and *private* mail is *private*.
I see no reason to send the *same* mail both to the list and the OP,
unless he has requested separate copy.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member