=- Derek Martin wrote on Thu 20.Jun'13 at 17:58:16 -0500 -=

> [I think people should take note: this comment clearly suggests that
> Paul, like many people, has had negative experiences asking relatively
> simple questions on mailing lists like this one, if not this very one.]

True.

> > I normally just start Googling and usually find an answer somewhere.
> > List requests work though.
>
> The problem with the RTFM answer is that TFM is (in many cases, and
> certainly in the mutt or emacs cases) rather long, and if you don't
> already know exactly what you're looking for, finding that one thing
> you need can take hours.

True.

> When what you have is basically a 2-second question, reading the
> manual is a waste of time.

Depends.
On our expectations from users using tools.
We (especially the 2 of us) had discussed this before.
We didn't agree.

Now imagine _everyone_ would do the same 2 second-question rather
than rtfm.
The list would be flooded with such "basic & simple" requests.
(not to speak of not directly related to mutt itself)

Wouldn't that be a waste of time for those trying to find the really
needy cases: (closely) mutt-related and not (well) covered by docs?

> Asking on a mailing list, where someone (or many someones) almost
> certainly knows the answer without looking it up, AND will reply to
> you usually in less than 5 minutes, while you go make yourself a nice
> cup of tea, is a much more productive and less frustrating way to
> solve the problem, and should be encouraged, not discouraged.
> Otherwise why are we here?

See above.
But not to make one side happy and reject the other, how about this:
we get 2 lists, one for the basic&simple stuff (mutt-users), the other
for "advanced" (mutt-adventures). Have some moderators sitting on
the basic- line forwarding the advanced stuff (&users) to the other list.
 Would you volunteer?