On 21.06.13 10:13, Rado Q wrote:
> But not to make one side happy and reject the other, how about this:
> we get 2 lists, one for the basic&simple stuff (mutt-users), the other
> for "advanced" (mutt-adventures). Have some moderators sitting on
> the basic- line forwarding the advanced stuff (&users) to the other list.
>  Would you volunteer?

It isn't always necessary to make a simple matter complicated. Most
humans learn after a while how to identify a KLB, and anyway, netiquette
already encourages an appeal for assistance to include some evidence of
investigative effort prior to posting. It is not necessary for us to
immediately identify every query which _might_ have been able to be
answered by the poster, if he had known what keyword to look for, and in
what documentation. It is only desirable to chastise any serial abuser
of the list's patience - a KLB. Your lawyer's response, Rado, lacks
practical merit.

Many trivial keystroke combinations, tricks, and techniques are not
explicitly documented in man or info pages. If googling for the OP's
issue, whatever it was, gives a quick hit, then LMGTFY would have
been another appropriate response, admittedtly. But taking a positive
attitude to life, and helping an old bloke across the road, is not too
great a burden for most who are blessed with a little more youthful
energy and memory. (As we have seen.)

The real and substantial impairments, both physical and mental, which
accrue with advancing age, are easily overlooked in the ignorance of
youth, or even middle age. Though two decades behind our petitioner for
a quick hint, I have for a decade and a half found it necessary to
accumulate a private multifarious manpage, or brain-fade-insurance, now
amounting to 350 pages of stuff which has worked for me, but spans a
quarter of a century of using dozens of unix utilities, scripting
languages, cross-copilers, linker scripting, system administration, and
embedded systems development, etc. Without that, I'd be asking a few
more questions on the less hostile lists too. Ya can't remember it
all, and in declining years, the time remaining looms in all its stark
brevity. The increasing rate of wetware memory drop-outs in our autumn
years becomes increasingly unnerving, and even figuring out where to
look isn't as easy as it once was.

I doubt that I'll be able to deal with computers at 80, despite earning
my living with them and designing embedded systems for nearly three
decades.

My recommendation is: Cut the guy a bit of slack - you'll be there too
one day - saying "What?? Already?".

That doesn't mean I'm any more patient than anyone else with someone
younger than myself who just doesn't like reading manuals. Helping
youngsters to self-educate is a service to them, if done in a positive
way. It is hardly feasible to respond ideally in every case, but those
who responded with a positive attitude helped to make the world a better
place. Our list traffic is not yet unbearable, I submit.

Erik

--
A computer is like an air conditioner, it works poorly when you open Windows.