On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 08:20:06PM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> The *real* problem is that email is a "text" function and all the fancy
> formatting is irrelevant.  Sentence structure,tables and paragraphs
> suffice.  And all the jump-thru-hoops to present some fancy display
> disappear.

That is simply false.  Typesetters have been using italics, bold face,
underlining, etc. to indicate emphasis, or other similar changes of
context, since as early as the 15th century, if not earlier--over 500
years ago.  Since then, these formatting devices have come to be used
in the overwhelming majority of printed materials to convey, among
other things, hints about the tone of a passage, or about important
key words or concepts, which unformatted text alone simply can not...
at least not in a professional manner.

It is, IMO, absolutely unforgivable at this date that an e-mail client
not have a way to provide the same, particularly since there are
absolutely zero technological reasons why one should be unable to do
so.  And yes, even on terminal-based mail readers such as Mutt--it is
completely possible to render text as bold, italics, underlined,
colored, etc. on every modern terminal and/or emulator I'm aware of
(and many that are not so modern).

What I would grant is that the standard used to provide this (HTML) is
not ideal; however it is what is used, universally (excepting perhaps
some small percentage of fringe users who insist on sticking to failed
standards like RTF).  As such, any mailer, such as Mutt, which fails
to provide a reasonable means of creating, displaying, and responding
to such correspondence is incomplete, and has, at least in part,
failed at its job.

This is one important way in which the "hand some functionality off to
another program" model falls down.

-=-=-=-=-