> The message is that not everyone has time to become an expert in how
> e-mail works fundamentally, and not everyone should.  In fact, just
> about no one should.  This is what specialization is all about, and
> like it or not our society has become extremely specialized.

No, I'm sorry, the specialization idea does not float.  E-mail has
become as popular as car driving.  I agree you don't need to know
mechanics nor combustion physics to operate a car.  Nonetheless you must
invest tens of hours to learn how to drive it properly, many of them
only to allow fluid interactions with other drivers, as we all share
roads; red lights, yield signs, school buses and all.

Many people will spend many more hours dealing with e-mail than at the
wheel but hey, they can get away with half-garbage e-mails so why should
they bother?

I mean, what's *so* hard about spending 10 hours once to learn to
properly use something that you'll enjoy every day for the rest of your
life?

--