On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 06:34:13PM -0700, Claus Assmann wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016, Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > Why, then, do you feel the need to distinguish between a deletion
> > caused by a copy, and a deletion caused by you explicitly deleting the
> > message?  In both cases, it is legitimately a deletion.
>
> In the former case the user still has a copy of the message, in the
> latter case most likely not...

But you had to take action to save the message, including telling Mutt
where to save it.  It's a pretty big difference, IMO.  I'm somewhat
inclined to think that if you can't remember you did all that, there's
really no help for you. ;-)  [If the smiley isn't adequate to convey
it, I'm being fecetious.]

Is the issue just that Mutt does not give adequate confirmation that
it saved the message?

One issue I do see here is that Mutt either does not display a message
indicating there was a copy, or it is displayed for too short a time
and removed when the screen redraws immediately after.  It might be
nice if there was a status message that was retained until the NEXT
time the user does something that causes the screen to redraw.

I'm not very familiar with how mutt displays status messages, so I'm
not sure how easy that would be.  But would that suffice?

This is obviously just my opinion, but I don't really like the idea of
adding yet another index line indicator for this purpose, because (in
decreasing order of priority):

  - It indicates a distinction that is essentially fictitious: It
    exists only in the user's mind--its state exists nowhere else
    and can not be replicated by any means, if lost by Mutt somehow.

  - I'm not aware of any other major mail client that has such a
    thing, suggesting that the audience for it may be very limited

  - It seems like more UI clutter to me...

  - I don't think it plays well with a variety of workflows.  For
    instance, I believe it is possible (perhaps with some requisite
    patch or other) to save folders with deleted messages, so that
    they can be reviewed later.  Under those circumstances, the new
    indicator would be lost, and can not be replicated, due to my
    first point.

My sense is that a status message that persists long enough to be seen
would provide more value in more contexts.

If users can't manage to remember whether they saved a message that's
marked as deleted, they should probably check, or take to doing a sync
more often to compensate (e.g. do all "normal" deletes and then sync;
then and only then consider saving messages, and sync when they have
been saved, etc.).

-=-=-=-=-