On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 06:49:54PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 02:33:01PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > The message index shows a "D" when a message has been
> > deleted or when it has been saved.  Is there a way
> > to distinguish which of the two operations (delete
> > or save) has been performed?
>
> As Florian points out, the message is marked "D" because Mutt has, in
> fact, executed the delete operation on it.  It will be purged the next
> time you sync (or change folders, if so configured), unless you
> (u)ndelete it beforehand.  The deletion is essentially what
> distinguishes the "save message" and "copy message" operations.
>
> Why, then, do you feel the need to distinguish between a deletion
> caused by a copy, and a deletion caused by you explicitly deleting the
> message?  In both cases, it is legitimately a deletion.

In the attached screenshot of mutt with my save indication patch ('$')
it is pretty easy to see which email was saved and marked for deletion
versus just marked for deletion.  I find this useful for reviewing all
messages marked for deletion before I sync that mailbox in case I
accidentally marked some for deletion or I've changed my mind and do
want to save some before they are permanently deleted.  Note I don't use
the trash feature.

--
Will Fiveash