Il 27 agosto 2020 alle 15:24 Greg Marks ha scritto:
> But I don't think that is quite what Mr. LaBadie is seeking.  I think,
> but am not quite sure, that he could use the Unix command "column"
> to produce the sort of ASCII formatting he wants.  It would help to
> see an example of the sort of Word document he's trying to reproduce
> with UTF-8.  Incidentally, the programs "antiword" and "abiword" can
> be used to convert Word documents to text.

The stumbling block for me is «tabular» layout. Cards and font
formatting (bold, italic, etc.) are doable with some trickery in
pure Unicode, but this

Il 27 agosto 2020 alle 15:57 Jon LaBadie ha scritto:
> It would be nice to be able to do it in 2 columns, like:
>
>      Table 1                                 Table 1
>   N: Geo Washington (host)                N: Geo Washington (host)
>   E: John Adams                           E: James Monroe
>   S: Tom Jefferson                        S: J.Q. Adams
>   W: James Madison                        W: Andrew Jackson
>

> You viewing it in mutt inside a terminal window probably see two
> nicely aligned columns.  But readers using thunderbird, outlook,
> etc. would not because of the proportional spacing.

client. You could with HTML, but then it is simpler to write in markdown,
invoke pandoc, attach the HTML — or even just plainly render the table
to .jpg.