On 22Sep2020 17:46, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
>Does mutt still use the (IMHO silly) maildir hierarchy where mail
>'folders' are simply represented by another '.' and name in the
>maildir directory name?

Are you talking about browsing a Maildir hierarchy from mutt, or just
the physical structure on disc?

I don't browse from within mutt (but see Kevin's reply) but I do have a
directory hierarchy. Admittedly it is shallow and does not have Maildirs
inside Maildirs, but my own folders are like this:

    ~/mail/foldername           # top level "current" folders
    ~/mail/OLD/YYYY/foldername  # archived folders
    ~/mail/O/foldername         # this year's archived folders

I've just got (d)elete bound to move messages into
"O/current-folder-name", and "O" is just a symlink to
"OLD/the-current-year".

So no Maildirs inside Maildirs, but several subdirectories.

Oh, don't forget: don't name any of your folders "tmp" or "cur" or
"new", those names are special for Maildir.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>