On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 05:46:53PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> Does mutt still use the (IMHO silly) maildir hierarchy where mail
> 'folders' are simply represented by another '.' and name in the
> maildir directory name?

I'm not sure why you think Mutt is doing this...  I have my maildir
folders set up in exactly the way you say you want and they work fine.
But Mutt, by and large, isn't what created that mailbox structure--it
was procmail.  Presumably it's also true for you that whatever is
delivering your mail is creating the directory structure, and mutt is
just consuming it.

-=-=-=-=-