On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 08:20:11AM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 22Sep2020 17:46, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> >Does mutt still use the (IMHO silly) maildir hierarchy where mail
> >'folders' are simply represented by another '.' and name in the
> >maildir directory name?
>
> Are you talking about browsing a Maildir hierarchy from mutt, or just
> the physical structure on disc?

The actual structure on disk, as I explained I often move stuff around
and/or rename things, or check on space usage directly from the
command line and the maildir++ format makes this *very* difficult.

> I don't browse from within mutt (but see Kevin's reply) but I do have a
> directory hierarchy. Admittedly it is shallow and does not have Maildirs
> inside Maildirs, but my own folders are like this:
>
>     ~/mail/foldername           # top level "current" folders
>     ~/mail/OLD/YYYY/foldername  # archived folders
>     ~/mail/O/foldername         # this year's archived folders
>
> I've just got (d)elete bound to move messages into
> "O/current-folder-name", and "O" is just a symlink to
> "OLD/the-current-year".
>
> So no Maildirs inside Maildirs, but several subdirectories.

I don't think I want Maildirs inside Maildirs, mbox can't do that so I
don't expect it.

> Oh, don't forget: don't name any of your folders "tmp" or "cur" or
> "new", those names are special for Maildir.

Yes, easily forgotten, especially tmp. :-)

--
Chris Green