On Wed, 20 Jan 2021, Will Yardley wrote:

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 04:22:04PM -1000, Baron Fujimoto wrote:

The following in my muttrc was used successfully util this problem began:

set smtp_url = smtp://u...@example.org@smtp.gmail.com

Do you have smtp_authenticators (unset by default) set?

set smtp_url = "smtps://lu...@example.com@smtp.gmail.com"
set smtp_authenticators = 'gssapi:login'

Are you using an "app password"? Typically, you'll need to (at least I
did)
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

If not, you may want to switch to one. If so, you may want to make sure
it's still active, and check to see if your organization changed any
policies that might be causing the issue, whether that's disabling
certain protocols, or enforcing MFA.

FWIW, when I was using gsuite with Mutt (for work), I would typically
have to auth once for IMAP and once for SMTP.

Good idea trying alternate ports, but you may also want to doublecheck
that your provider is not blocking or hijacking SMTP (and see what you
get using telnet and / or openssl s_client to connect to smtp.gmail.com
directly). Kevin's suggestion should also help show any issues along
those lines.

Sorry, I should have added that I do not have smtp_authenticators set, so it
should be trying all available as the default.

I also tried using an app password, which also works for IMAP, but not for SMTP, same as
before. The "No available authenticators" error occurs before I am even
prompted for a password when trying to send.

When I experiment with "openssl s_client", I can only connect to port 465, but
I don't see any obvious problems there either. I'm not quite sure how to satisfiy GMail's
AUTH requirements via interactive SMTP commands. (I tried AUTH LOGIN, with base64 encoded
app password or original password).

Below is a excerpt of "mutt -d 2" output. Based on what I see there, it doesn't
appear that them SMTP is being hijacked. But apparently not even LOGIN or PLAIN AUTH
mechanisms appear to be available to mutt?

---------
Sending message...
Looking up smtp.gmail.com...
Connecting to smtp.gmail.com...
ssl_load_certificates: loading trusted certificates
ssl_socket_open: Error loading trusted certificates
ssl_verify_callback: checking cert chain entry /OU=GlobalSign Root CA -
R2/O=GlobalSign/CN=GlobalSign (preverify: 1 skipmode: 0)
ssl_verify_callback: checking cert chain entry /C=US/O=Google Trust
Services/CN=GTS CA 1O1 (preverify: 1 skipmode: 0)
ssl_verify_callback: checking cert chain entry /C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain
View/O=Google LLC/CN=smtp.gmail.com (preverify: 1 skipmode: 0)
ssl_verify_callback: hostname check passed
TLSv1.3 connection using TLSv1.3 (TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)
Connected to smtp.gmail.com:465 on fd=8
8< 220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP s76sm6536334pfc.35 - gsmtp
8> EHLO MacBook-Pro.local
8< 250-smtp.gmail.com at your service, [192.160.100.100]
8< 250-SIZE 35882577
8< 250-8BITMIME
8< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
8< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
8< 250-PIPELINING
8< 250-CHUNKING
8< 250 SMTPUTF8
SASL local ip: 172.19.100.162;59923, remote ip:74.125.20.109;465
External SSF: 256
External authentication name: u...@example.org
SASL: No worthy mechs found
smtp_auth_sasl: LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
unavailable
No authenticators available
mutt_free_body: unlinking
/var/folders/2y/zz20bmnx69zbk82vm71syr5w0000gp/T//mutt-MacBook-Pro-502-51733-18433303713026120095.
Mail not sent.
---------
(email address and client IP address redacted)