> The context is that I just would like to send emails and check for
> like to have commands at my disposal when I am working on something to just
> send an email directly and later check for responses to that email, or
> check for all new emails from a particular sender. That info would need to
> come back as the output of commands, to stdout.

How I understand it is that you wish to automatically verify the
existence at IMAP server of responses to particular email address.

In almost every GNU/Linux distribution there shall be package with GNU
Mailutils https://www.mailutils.org and inside there is one program
named `from', that has among others the following option:

  -s, --sender=ADDRESS       print only mail from addresses containing the
                             supplied string

What is interesting is that it will work not only with local mail but
it can work with remote server. For help just write to
bug-mailut...@gnu.org mailing list even without subscription.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns