> I would like to retrieve the contents of my inbox - the emails'
> metadata, sender, subject, date - to stdout, rather than by opening
> an application.  Can Mutt dump the inbox page? Does it have any way
> to return to stdout information about the inbox? Or should I use a
> different tool for this?

This doesn't entirely do what you want, and it doesn't involve mutt;
however, the command

   frm -s new /var/mail/$(whoami)

will output the "From" and "Subject" lines of all unread messages
in /var/mail/$(whoami) to standard output.  Or, if you just want the
"From" lines:

   frm -f From -s new /var/mail/$(whoami)

There is documentation here:

   https://mailutils.org/manual/mailutils.txt

As I recall, the OP was interested in being notified upon arrival of
a response to an e-mail he sent.  For this, perhaps

   for ((;;)) ; do sleep 60 ; frm -f From -s new /var/mail/$(whoami) ; done

is suitable to check for a response every minute.  This can of course
be modified to display only e-mails from a particular sender:

   for ((;;)) ; do sleep 60 ; frm -f From -s new /var/mail/$(whoami) | egrep -n
-e 'friend@example\.org' ; done

Best regards,
Greg Marks