Unfortunately, I have been trying to get going with some simple tools like
grepmail and mail and I can't find an answer to a simple question I have.

How are these tools configured? It seems like grepmail looks in mailbox
directories already saved in your filesystem, instead of there being some
kind of configuration file or .rc file where you put in your IMAP and SMTP
info. So I would need to already have downloaded a mailbox onto my system.
I assume the mail tool would permit that. But I have also not been able to
find how to pass my configuration information to mail. The docs seem to
assume the information is present as environmental variables, and it just
shows commands you can call to send mail, for example.

Could anyone provide me with some simple steps to download my Gmail inbox
to my filesystem as a mailbox, so that I could grepmail through it? I did
read that the mailbox could be saved to var/mail or just $HOME. In either
case I think grepmail can search for it and find it.

Thanks very much and sorry for my simple confusion. Any help is really
appreciated.

Best regards,
Julius