I think google is doing this in order to mess with the heads of those
using anything other than gmail to read their accounts.
For now, the best way around that likely will be to have all gmail
forwarded to an account off of google and use that account to reply to any
gmail that arrives.  When google makes forwarding email from gmail
impossible, it will be time to disable gmail accounts and no longer use
google for email.