On 2022-08-30 14:58, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 09:09:34AM +0200, Jan Eden via Mutt-users wrote:

I would consider f=f an acceptable compromise, because while it looks
nicer on (some) mail clients, it breaks automatic list indentation
created in vim (fo-n). The following is displayed properly in mutt with
linebreaks, but the indentation obviously gets messed up with
text_flowed=yes [mutt] and formatoptions=ntwcql [vim].

1. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean
 commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus
 et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.
2. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem.
 Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel,
 aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu.

It would get messed up only if spaces were added at the ends of lines. Your sample numbered paragraphs above did not have those spaces in your message, and don't in this message, even though this message is text/plain format=flowed. The numbered paragraphs should be displayed undisturbed. (This paragraph, however, has those spaces, and should be filled and word-wrapped to fit the window width, by any mail reader that understands format=flowed. For example, Mutt with reflow_text=yes and reflow_wrap=0.)

Right. I created the numbered paragraphs above without the format=flowed support in vim (fo=ntcql), as opposed to the following (fo=nwtcql):

1. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. 2. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu.

I don't use vim, but just tried it a little with formatoptions=aw, and textwidth set, so it wrapped automatically. fo=w tells vim to recognize <space> <newline> as a soft line break, but vim didn't insert those spaces automatically. Is there some other option to make it insert them? Or do you have to type them by hand?

vim (9.0) does insert the spaces for me with fo=w (as illustrated in the second version of the numbered paragraphs).

- Jan