On 2022/08/31 16:38, John Hawkinson wrote:

I don't really think we're flouting the standards.

Very long lines -- one line per paragraph -- changes the meaning of ASCII/Unicode.

I could live with that if it were labelled, with a new MIME subtype, but I agree that a new subtype probably will not be accepted by the large makers of mail readers. It would be easy for them -- they'd just have to put a label on what they already do -- but they're not likely to do it without something pushing them.

I guess we could try to persuade the IETF. Apparently that failed once, about 20 years ago, but smartphones didn't exist then.

The large companies are not likely to implement format=flowed either, if they haven't already. Thunderbird implements it, and Thunderbird is fairly popular on Unix systems, but Thunderbird is probably 1% as big as Microsoft Outlook. I guess Mutt is even smaller.