Kurt Hackenberg <k...@panix.com> wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2022
at 17:22:48 EDT in <2d716370-8c96-adcf-11d4-939a3f808...@panix.com>:

> > I don't really think we're flouting the standards.
>
> Very long lines -- one line per paragraph -- changes the meaning of
> ASCII/Unicode.

err, what? I am confused what we are discussing.

> I could live with that if it were labelled, with a new MIME subtype, but I
> agree that a new subtype probably

And even more so here.

John Hawkinson <jh...@alum.mit.edu> wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2022
at 16:38:11 EDT in <Yw/Gsxp7e5MCh3US@louder-room.local>:

> I suppose I should send some 2,000-character paragraph emails as tests to see
> what happens, but I very much doubt there will be problems as a result.

Anyhow, if I send a 2,000-character line in mutt, it encodes it in
quoted-printable.
So no standards problem.

Can we please move back to...I don't even know. Other suggestions on ways to
handle the problem of devices that don't display hard-wrapped text well? I
mean, at the moment, the choices are:

(a) hard-wrap the lines
(b) don't wrap the lines at all (my preference)
(c) format=flowed, which works approximately nowhere that (a) doesn't

It's a good thing no one is proposing a different set of defaults for mutt.

Oh maybe we're discussing how to accomplish these things in vim or Emacs? I
dunno, again.

--
jh...@alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson