On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 02:42:09PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
I'm am also pretty sure that it's the mutt pager doing this as other programs (i.e. less) wrap long lines in a terminal window but don't chop them into pieces like mutt's pager.

Mutt uses ncurses to draw on the screen, which is a layer of indirection. Mutt is telling ncurses where to put things, but when Mutt refreshes the screen, ncurses actually sends the needed commands and contents to the terminal.

In that past, I've tried a few things to see if it has an effect on the output of long lines, but haven't found anything that makes a difference. In the end, I believe it's a side effect of how ncurses works.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy