On Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 01:24:37PM +0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 02:42:09PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> >I'm am also pretty sure that it's the mutt pager doing this as other
> >programs (i.e. less) wrap long lines in a terminal window but don't
> >chop them into pieces like mutt's pager.
>
> Mutt uses ncurses to draw on the screen, which is a layer of
> indirection.  Mutt is telling ncurses where to put things, but when Mutt
> refreshes the screen, ncurses actually sends the needed commands and
> contents to the terminal.
>
> In that past, I've tried a few things to see if it has an effect on the
> output of long lines, but haven't found anything that makes a
> difference.  In the end, I believe it's a side effect of how ncurses
> works.

Yes, I realise this issue has been looked into before, and no solution
found.

As I said though it seems odd that only mutt suffers from the problem
(on my xubuntu systems anyway).  Presumably both 'less' and my editor
'vile' use ncurses too and they just wrap long lines if you tell them
to do so.

I'll have a talk with Tom Dickey who is the maintainer of both vile
and ncurses, he may be able to throw some light on this.

--
Chris Green