On Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 09:33:16AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 01:24:37PM +0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
>> In [the] past, I've tried a few things to see if it has an effect on
>> the output of long lines, but haven't found anything that makes a
>> difference.  In the end, I believe it's a side effect of how ncurses
>> works.
>
> Yes, I realise this issue has been looked into before, and no solution
> found. [...] I'll have a talk with Tom Dickey who is the maintainer of
> both vile and ncurses, he may be able to throw some light on this.

Workaround: while viewing an affected email in Mutt, press the vertical
bar key (`|`) and then type `less`.  This will pipe the email to Less -
which, as you've noted, is unaffected by the issue.  You can then select
URLs or other long whitespace-free text strings per your terminal's
normal behaviour.

(You probably already knew this!  But I'm mentioning it in case not, or
in case helpful for anyone else reading this thread.)

Cheers!

Sam