On 2022-10-09 08:18, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 08Oct2022 21:55, Jan Eden via Mutt-users <mutt-users@mutt.org> wrote:
> > Thank you! This works well with Epiphany, but Firefox still fails (which
> > I do not care about, as long as I have a working browser option).
>
> My recollection is that this is a timing issue. To run the viewer mutt goes:
> - make a temp file containing the message or html
> - run the mailcap command
> - remove the temp file
>
> Your command is "open", which tells firefox (your default browser) to open
> the file for viewing. That message takes little time. By the time firefox
> gets around to opening the file (probably after making the new browser
> window) the file has been removed by step 3 above.
>
> This is why helper scripts like Chris Green's one take a copy of the file.
> They tell the browser to view the copy, which does not get removed.

Yes, I did use Chris Green's helper script, and it does work with
Epiphany, but not with Firefox.

The (slightly modified) script creates a file in /tmp/mutt_attach, which
is then passed to the respective browser, and while Epiphany handles it
properly, Firefox still displays "File not found" along with several
error messages:

>>update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount
>>(/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/cups/doc-root /usr/share/cups/doc-root none
>>bind,ro 0 0): cannot create directory "/usr/share/cups/doc-root": permission
>>denied
>>update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount
>>(/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/gimp/2.0/help /usr/share/gimp/2.0/help none
>>bind,ro 0 0): cannot create directory "/usr/share/gimp/2.0": permission denied
>>update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount
>>(/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/libreoffice/help /usr/share/libreoffice/help
>>none bind,ro 0 0): cannot create directory "/usr/share/libreoffice/help":
>>permission denied
>>update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change mount
>>(/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/xubuntu-docs /usr/share/xubuntu-docs none
>>bind,ro 0 0): cannot open directory "/var/lib": permission denied
>>/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
>>Gtk-Message: 09:22:48.907: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>>Gtk-Message: 09:22:48.921: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>>ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
>>ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
>>ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
>>Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.sys.mjs
>>[2022-10-09T07:22:51Z ERROR glean_core::metrics::ping] Invalid reason code
>>startup for ping background-update
>>^CExiting due to channel error.
>>Exiting due to channel error.
>>Exiting due to channel error.
>>Exiting due to channel error.
>>Exiting due to channel error.
>>Exiting due to channel error.
>>Press any key to continue...
>>/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
>>Gtk-Message: 09:24:29.485: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>>Gtk-Message: 09:24:29.487: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>>ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
>>ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
>>ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
>>Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.sys.mjs
>>[2022-10-09T07:24:31Z ERROR glean_core::metrics::ping] Invalid reason code
>>startup for ping background-update

Interesting enough, opening URLs from mutt with Firefox is possible.

> My personal process, which is by no means seamless, is a macro bond to my
> "V" key:
>
>     macro index,pager V "<pipe-message>mail-open-attachments<enter>" "extract
> attachments to temp dir and open"
>     macro attach      V "qVv" "extract attachments to temp dir and open"
>
> and the associated script is here:
>
>     https://github.com/cameron-simpson/css/blob/main/bin/mail-open-attachments
>
> Like Chris' script, it makes a copy.
>
> It unpacks everything in the message into a directory, then opens the Finder
> on that directory. Then I can use preview on the HTML or open it in Firefox.
> Etc etc for whatever other attachments there may have been.

Nice, thank you!

- Jan