On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:27:52PM +0200, Jan Eden via Mutt-users wrote:
The problem was related to the target dir (/tmp/mutt_attach). Although
it was accessible by the current user, Firefox was not able to display
files at file:///tmp/mutt_attach/file.html – while Epiphany was.

Whatever the reason, I changed the script to store HTML files in
/home/jan/mutt_attach, and Firefox successfully opens
file:///home/jan/mutt_attach/file.html.

What version of Firefox are you using? I started seeing exactly the same problem when I upgraded my Ubuntu installation to 22.04, where Firefox is handled by snap, and the filepaths it can access seems to be somewhat restricted. I ended up using a solution similar to yours: placing the temporary file in a folder within my user folder.

Cheers,

--
José María (Chema) Mateos || https://rinzewind.org