Hi, Kitus. As you mention, it would be great if sync conflicts could be
figured out and resolved by the software. I guess the issue would be, how
far this could go. I don't think it could be 100%. Suppose I update a task
correctly on one platform and make a mistaken update on the other. How would
the software know which one I meant? The later one would not necessarily be
better. There can also be some very complex situations where repeating tasks
are involved. For example, on one platform I might have an update made today
to a daily task that was due yesterday, while on another platform I have an
update made yesterday to a copy of the task due today. Which one is
considered more recent?

I have worked with several different automated sync mechanisms over the
years, and if one happens to resolve the conflicts the way I would have
resolved them manually, then I'm happy. But if it picks the wrong version to
keep, the user now faces a much more difficult job finding and undoing the
erroneous sync before redoing the sync manually. Most of the automated syncs
I have worked with have fallen somewhere between annoying and infuriating. I
think the worst was Intellisynch. You mention "other tools" that do it -
which ones do you think get it really right??

-Dwight