I've been thinking long and hard about this and I think I've been coming at
it from the wrong angle. I have been studying, when there's a conflict, how
can an algorithm resolve it. The better question, I think, is whether the
conflict can be avoided. The only way to make a conflict is to update a
task on one device and leave that change unsynched for long enough for the
user to get to another device and make a conflicting update. If every
platform synched soon after a local change and also soon after a remote
change has been synched, provided that the sum of the two "soon"s is less
than the time it takes to go to a new device and enter a change, then there
will be no conflict. (Except in abnormal circumstances such as blackout.)