Hi

I rather chuffed with this.

My other threads got confused, so let's start this again

BACKGROUND RE-CAP:
I am been trying to implement GTD on MLO. And because David Allen suggests
that we have (in practice) quite so many 'Projects' and because in GTD
method you need to create a Next Action for every one of your Projects, due
to the large number of Next Actions (often between 60 and 120 at once) that
you are likely to have running in parallel... due to these large numbers at
once, choosing what to do next - i.e. establishing priority of actions -
becomes hard.

Yes, Weekly Reviews are crucial. Yes Daily Reviews are crucial (plus quick
scans more than once a day if possible). And yes, using Context to tell you
what you can do next '*right now'*' is also a helpful way to cut down the
number of Next Actions you are likely to be faced with at once.

HOWEVER, with such a large number of Next Actions any way you do it, you
need to be 'on top of' a LOT of Projects at once, and I find it extremely
easy to find myself NOT doing the things that my brain has told me several
times are rather more Important and/or Urgent, than just ticking off easy
stuff off that happens to be in front of me.

To put this more strongly, with what I had until today it was far too easy
to miss important/urgent (i.e. high priority) stuff, which can easily be a
*total
disaster*!

Secondly I also get frustrated if the importance and urgency is held only
at the *Action* level, because every time you tick off a Next Action, you
are liable find you need to enter that Importance & Urgency all over again.
And when up against the clock this simply may not happen! The truth for me
at least, is that mostly it's the priority of completing Project itself
that I need to keep on top of, rather than that of individual actions.

THE MISSION:
For the above reasons I wanted to be able to create a single view that
showed:

a) The one 'Next Action' for each live project

b) To show me & allow me to edit the Importance & Urgency of the *project*
to which each action belongs

c) To *not* show the folders (as they get in the way)

d) To also sort the entire view into priority order using Importance +
Urgency of the Projects, so that the higher priority items are visible at
the top of the page.

f) To be able to *adjust* the Importance and Urgency in real time on the
same screen and thereby change the sort order *in real time*. This means
that the priorities can then to be to some extent as *relative* priorities
(i.e. what is more high  or low priority compared to what else) as well as
being absolute values.

THE SOLUTION
After a several false starts and help from several directions (notably from
Dwight and pottster) I think I this newbie here, may have cracked the
problem. So I created a new View from scratch and I then did the following
filter settings:
Filter > General > "Show Actions: Next Actions"
Filter > General > "Show Hierarchy: Yes"
Filter > General > Include Parents - ticked
Filter > General > Set parent filter to: "IsProject"
Filter > Group & Sort > Advanced un-ticked
Filter > Group & Sort > Group by > (none)
Filter > Group & Sort > Sort > Computed-Score [descending]

I then opened up the columns for Importance and for Urgency (plus Context
for good measure) and save the view.

After all this sweat it is now *semi-miraculous* to see it working!

- A bonus is that you can hit F6 to just see all the projects, nicely
sorted by a fusion (mostly) of Importance and Urgency. And F7 of course
brings back all the Next Actions.

- Another surprise is that it doesn't blow up with multi-level projects.
When you hit F7 the project structure, complete with Next Actions appears
all nicely indented.

- Another bonus I discovered is that you can 'force' the addition of
individual Actions into view if required, simply by ticking the Project
button on the additional Action you want.

- A nice surprise (to me) is that if you double click on an action, you are
taken to the main Outline view to see all the other sibling Actions for the
project... and double clicking again takes me back again. (Obviously you
need to set up the new Workspace (i.e. tab) to sync selections for this to
work. [clue right-click on tab name].

- What is also great is that the Importance and Urgency columns
automatically change their visual 'markup' (ie. colour/boldness) depending
on their value. This make the thing more visual, with bright bold red for
the supplier important/urgent stuff etc.

- I also like being able to do Alt/H to flag stuff up visually that is dead
urgent too (in my case making that text go onto a bright yellow background).

- But the best fun of all is twiddling with the Imporance and Urgency of a
project and seeing the project instantly fly up and down my list of
priorities depending on what values I put in.

BRILLIANT !   :^))

No doubt something will go wrong or like a fool I will decide I need
something different, but for now I'm basking in glory and am firmly
chalking this up as a "rare victory" over technology !

Thanks chaps

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/b6838c84-ed57-4d38-8b58-9eeef4316b48%40googlegroups.com.