I don't think I agree about the comment on gtd, Gary. For its core lists,
David Allen just proposes a list of tasks for each context and a project
list - You can do this with a few sheets of paper, so you can definitely
make your MLO lists match this "strict GTD" system. However, MLO adds a
load of other (optional) task parameters, so you can use other systems (I
use a combination of Stephen Covery's "7 Habits" and the GTD, to make a
system that works for me). You can use as many or as few of the MLO
parameters as you need.

*However*, there is next to no scripting or inheritance for new or modified
tasks, so each parameter has to be entered or changed manually. Each
parameter you have to maintain means that you take longer managing your
system, rather than getting on with your tasks, so I'd recommend keeping it
as simple and using as few of the different parameters as you can.

Other than the flexibility of the task parameters, the great strength of
MLO is its search and filtering functions, which mean that you can set up
very many detailed, customised views of your task list, to help focus in on
just what you need to see at any particular time. I haven't seen more
flexible task management software, anywhere else, for this.

Regarding John's list of requests. Here are my thoughts on the current
state of development (from the point of view of the desktop application,
though the mobile ones are similar):

1. Extremely easy/fast data entry - PARTIALLY. There are quiet a lot of
shortcut keys and customisable hotkeys. However, data entry is slowed down
by the need to manually edit all of the parameters, rather than being able
to set up any kind of inheritance.

2. Multi-levels of Projects and Actions - YES. The outline tree can be
nested to almost infinite depth.

3. Ease of changing an item between Projects and Actions - YES. Hotkeys for
toggling "project" and "folder" statuses, among other parameters.

4. Next Actions - YES, I think - I haven't used "complete actions in order"
or dependencies much, but they're available. You can also set up custom
filters to narrow down to the important next steps in each project.

5. The ability to send emails into the "In Basket" for processing (ideally
with tags embedded in the title) - ?DON'T KNOW.

6. Ability to put Projects (and Actions) into some sort of *priority *that
is can be sorted/reported on and which is clearly visible with *colour*.-
YES. Importance, Urgency, star, due dates, etc, combined with customer
filters, sorting and custom Automatic Formatting rules.

7. "Focus" mark-up. - YES - I review my filtered and sorted task list and
use the Star to tag items I want to focus on, for the day. Alternatives are
flags or just relying on Importance, Urgency and Due Date to give an
automatic Computed Score and sort the tasks into order.

8. The ability do move projects up and down the list of projects FAST using
hotkeys - YES. I have the hotkeys set up as Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys. I have
hotkey Ctrl+Alt+M set up for the more free-form Move function - In the
pop-up Move window, you can select different views, so quickly change to a
list of projects or folders (or any other view you like) to help find where
to move your task. The F3 window is also very useful if you want to drag
and drop a lot of tasks to different locations in your outline.

9. Either a good web or PC application... - YES, the PC-application is
pretty good. NO for the web application.

10. ...that syncs well with a mobile app... that works off-line (as well as
on-line) - YES (*mostly*). I use PC and iPhone app. However, WiFi sync has
always been a bit of a pain to set up and maintain, unless you have a
static IP address for your PC and a single WiFi network that you always
use. WiFi sync no longer works for me, so I'm soon going to have to start a
(cheap) server-sync subscription. Either way, the sync conflict resolution
function and automated file backups are pretty thorough, though.

11. Excellent security/encryption of all my project data - PARTIAL. There
are other discussion threads on the lack of transport security and the
reliance on Amazon web server security for the server-side file. WiFi sync
could be more secure, if your WiFi networks are kept private and secure and
all the PCs and mobile devices are looked after.

12. A development team that has a history if being responsive to user
requests - PARTIAL. Since Alyona was hired, she's worked to respond to
questions and problems pretty quickly. Whenever I've had a significant
problem, an email to support (or a post to the community) has got a pretty
quick response. However, there are complaints that we don't get to see any
development plans or timescales (probably because the team don't want to
make any promises that they then can't achieve) and that many feature
requests don't get a reply. I think we just have to be patient and accept
that's how a lot of software companies work. MLO is much more communicative
than Microsoft, for example!

I hope that some people find this helpful.

Stéphane