Obviously the faster the better, but 60,000 page views a day is nothing.  I
run a dual P2 450, Raid 5 HD array with 512 megs of RAM, which is a pretty
sizable server (nothing massive) and I get about 45,000 "hits" a day and
the CPU PEAKS at about 2-3%.

PHP/MySQL are pretty scalable.  You have more CPU to worry about through
PHP then MySQL unless you have some wild data, I'm sure you'll be fine.

At 09:00 PM 1/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok, I'm starting to design a PHP/mySQL web site that will house about 6-8
>tables, lot of relation stuff, very dynamic output to the web visitors. My
>worry is performance. By doing authentication via comparing a member's
>profile to the record he want to read in the db and all that other fun
>mySQL stuff I'm truly petrified that performance will be slow.
>
>Currently we get about 1300 visitors a day but that's been doubling every
>few months. During our high point (near our own technology trade show) we
>get even more.
>
>So now that we should be getting some funds to buy a new tower what are
>the most important specs? Should I get a dual processor, RAID hard drives,
>gig of RAM. What's the best set up for a PHP/mySQL web server for approx
>60,000 page views and 1300 visitors per day?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Mike

Scott Baker - Webster Internet - Network Technician
503.266.8253 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important
than any other one thing." - Abraham Lincoln