Carlos;

Carlos Corzo wrote:

> OK,
>
> I am just a bit confused still so I will try again.  Do I need to stop mysql as it
> is running now before I start safe_mysql or will it just replace the current
> running version?  Also, does it matter where I start it from?  I can telnet to the
> server, execute the command and then move on.

YES. But you should automate it...;)

> As far as database access is concerned.  I have an admin person who would make
> changes to the database.  They would log in through the web but how do you know
> where they are coming from to grant them special priviledges?

If they are logging in via YOUR web portal...then they can login to that machine,
thus you can use localhost or that machine's domain.

> Also, when Joe Bob out there tries to execute the PERL script that accesses the
> tables and executes queries, how am I supposed to grant them access to read
> information?  How would I know who Joe Bob is coming into the website?  Do I just
> grant the world read access to my database?

Joe Billie Bob shouldn't be running $h#T on your server...;) your web server should
therfore; again you can use localhost or the webserver's domain name.

> Sorry but I just don't quite understand this stuff yet.

Cheers,
Mikel