ensure that /tmp has correct read-write-execute permissions

-----Original Message-----
From: Hresko, Christian A. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 10:57 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: starting mysql

i'm moving MySQL over to unix and i can't for the life of me get anything to
work.

i just want to use MySQL from my directory.  no root users or anything like
that.  i just want to noodle around with the db as a 'local' user.

so i installed the binaries, created my symbolic link, configured the db,
and tried starting with mysql. (and safe_mysqld and safe_mysqld
--user=mysqladmin)

i receive a

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

i checked with my admin, and the socket exists.

prior to this, we tried configuring the root user, changed owners, groups,
etc and still no luck. (different error messages... usually tried starting
with a password, password failed (password = YES) error...  went through all
the documented changes necessary to avoid this message.  still got this
message.  gave up)

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

christian

: yes, i've read the manual.  and i'm reading the MySQL book