That's the way that I do.  I setup my server to shutdown the MySQL process
at 3am, zip up my var directory, and then restart the process.  Can you
copy the data with the server running?

Scott

At 04:37 PM 1/30/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 04:39:19PM -0700, Colin Faber wrote:
> >
> > Its not recommended to just `cp' your data directory for use
> > later. You should always dump the database with mysqldump.
>
>Eh?

Scott Baker - Webster Internet - Network Technician
503.266.8253 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their
food, and tyrannize their teachers." - Socrates