Scott Baker wrote:

> That's the way that I do.  I setup my server to shutdown the MySQL process
> at 3am, zip up my var directory, and then restart the process.  Can you
> copy the data with the server running?

If you are shutting down the server, why don't you just copy the files
out to the backup and then restart?  Why would you want to copy them back in?
Save the disk IO and don't remove them in the first place, it would be
faster and you wouldn't have to worry about....

Yes, you can copy them back in but you should have locks on them through
some thread so that something doesn't try to write to them.. still
I'm not sure I see the need since you are backing up the data and
should not be removing it.