> ...and this will load the table into your database.  Now, in the book
> it doesn't specify whether or not you have to be on the computer with
> the server, or if you can send the .sql file command from your
> computer to the remote server, sort of like a file transfer protocol
> as well.  Basically, my question is, do I have to either FTP my files
> to the server, and then execute the command, or can I do it remotely
> without FTP? Or is it possible AT ALL to execute the command from a
> remote computer?  In case it helps, I am on a Windows 98 system
> connected through SSH to an Linux system running Apache.  Please
> help, I'm stuck and I won't give up until I'm un-stuck!  Thanks in
> advance to all that reply.

The file must be on the remote machine (as has been answered), but yes, if you
are connected to the shell (via telnet/ssh/ssh2/etc), you can execute the
command.  And, no, the extension may be anything (all you're doing is
redirecting the contents of the file (via '<') into the 'mysql <database>'
command.

HTH,

Jon A. Nielsen.