Hi.

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 01:18:04AM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi All,
> Below is the status that I got from my server's mysql server, can anyone
> explain to me more on this?? and as u see here... currently mysql server
> is running extremely slow:
>
> mysql>show variables;
> +--------------------+------------------------------------------------------+
> | Variable_name      | Value                                                |
> +--------------------+------------------------------------------------------+
> | back_log           | 5                                                    ||
> | datadir            | .                                                    |
> | join_buffer        | 131072                                               |
> | key_buffer         | 1048568                                              |

1MB is probably to small for your database. Increase it depending on
how much memory you have and what else runs on the server, and how big
your database is. For a dedicated database server, 1/4 of the main
memory sounds nice, given that your keys are larger; else, make it fit
the keys size.

> | max_allowed_packet | 65536                                                |
> | max_connections    | 90                                                   |
> | max_join_size      | 4294967295                                           |
> | max_sort_length    | 1024                                                 |
> | net_buffer_length  | 8192                                                 |
> | port               | 3380                                                 |
> | record_buffer      | 131072                                               |
> | skip_locking       | 0                                                    |
> | sort_buffer        | 2097144                                              |
> | table_cache        | 64                                                   |

Opened_tables below indicates, that you could do with more. Try 128
and check whether Open_tables stays below that limit here. Note, that
this will use more file descriptors and you have to ensure that MySQL
can get enough.

> | thread_stack       | 65536                                                |
> | tmp_table_size     | 1048576                                              |
> +--------------------+------------------------------------------------------+
> 19 rows in set (4 min 8.20 sec)
>
> mysql> show status;
> +--------+-----------------+-----------+---------------+---------+-------------+
> | Uptime | Running_threads | Questions | Opened_tables | Reloads | Open_tables |
> +--------+-----------------+-----------+---------------+---------+-------------+
> | 108855 |              20 |    344541 |           838 |       1 |          63 |
> +--------+-----------------+-----------+---------------+---------+-------------+
> 1 row in set (55.35 sec)

the output of

shell> mysqladmin extended-status

is much more informative and helpful.

> so, can anyone tell me on how to improve my mysql server so that it can run
> very fast????

Note, that often it also is a question if your queries and indexes are
optimized.

Bye,

        Benjamin.