> Also, specifying fields won't break things when people add fields to a
> table.

Yeah, but you already have the same problem with SELECT *.

Let me give another example.  You have a table with 15 rows.  One of those
rows is TEXT.  You really do want everything except the text.   Doesn't
anyone else think it's a pain to type in all the fields rather than just
doing "* EXCEPT textfield" in your query?

Let me also point out that I see this being more useful as an interactive
development aid than I do as a feature you'd use in deployment.

Ok, I'll even settle for a query that does "* EXCEPT TEXT" which would
eliminate datatypes rather than specific fields :-).