Okay, so I'm slow getting caught up on this list.

ht::/Dig is practically useless!
Having done an extensive search on college websites tracking down
essential details on the schools and their programs, I have run
across a number that use ht::/Dig. In every single case, ht::/Dig
returned the most irrelevant and the most non-applicable pages. This
is a NO-NO if you don't want your customers to give up in frustration
and go elsewhere for what they need.

Spidering alone does not usually give a high instance of relevant
returns. I chose to go with a custom search program using a mysql
database, manually entered. This is a labor-intensive approach, in
order to achieve the highest rate of relevant returns, but not always
the most practical approach. However, I can see that by running
spidered returns through a database, the level of relevancy is
potentially much higher than a marginal solution like ht::/Dig is
likely to offer.

On 25 Feb 2001, at 20:45, Vahan Yerkanian wrote:

> Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
> >
> > Out of interest, what's unacceptable about ht::/Dig for you?
> > --
> > Dave Hodgkinson,
> > http://www.hodgkinson.org Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star
> >  http://www.deep-purple.com
> >       Apache, mod_perl, MySQL, Sybase hired gun for, well, hire
>
> My task is to implement several custom word parsing/modification
> before writing the keywords into the database, as well as I just
> want to have my own code ;-)
>
> --
> Vahan Yerkanian                       Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Leading Web Developer / Designer      Phone: (374) 158-2723
> Web Development Department            Fax:   (374) 128-5082
> ARMINCO Global Telecommunications     http://www.arminco.com

John Jensen
520 Goshawk Court
Bakersfield, CA 93309