At 11:05 AM 3/2/01 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:58:03AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> HI,  I sent this note a couple days ago and no one has commented.  I am
>> trying to implement DBI-1.14.tar.gz  Data-ShowTable-3.3.tar.gz
>> Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2215.tar.gz .   The first two packages completed
>> successfully byt the Mysql-modules failed druing the 'make test' step.    I
>> am using mysql version 3.23.32-log.
>
>> >MySql is ruuning but the database is located at 'local/mysql' and the
>> >mysql.sock socket is present.   This is setup in /etc/my.cnf.
>
>_Where_ is the socket?  Assuming you've done a 'make install' as
>root, and you are running 'make test' as a mere mortal, do you
>have read permissions on the full path to the socket?  (Remember
>that you need read _and_ execute permissions on directories.)
>
>You make it sound like you're using a relative path 'local/mysql'; that
>doesn't sound right.  What _do_ you have in my.cnf?
>
>(I, for one, _never_ use my.cnf.  In fact, I don't use safe_mysqld,
>either; I run mysql, with a ton of command-line flags, directly
>under a watchdog script.)
>
>I don't know the details of how you set everything up, but it would
>seem you managed to trick either the test scripts in
>Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2215.tar.gz (which is possible), or you've
>built/run MySQL itself in a confusing manner, such that safe_mysqld
>is really running it with different paramaters than you've intended.
>
>If you have read access to the socket, but the '10dsnlist' can't
>tell it there, then perhaps the test script is making a bad guess.
>You can tell MySQL clients to look for the socket via an environemnt
>variable:
>
>  section A Environment variables:
>
>  MYSQL_UNIX_PORT The default socket; used for connections to localhost.
>
>Maybe that'll help...
>

>> Any help would be appreciated,
>>
>>  TIA
>>
>> >Subject: Mysql dbi modules
>> >
>> >I have almost installed all of the dbi/dbm modules but can't get thru the
>> >'make test'.   I get the error msg:
>> >'t/10dsnlist.........DBI->connect(database=test) failed: Can't connect to
>> >local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) at
>> >t/10dsnlist.t line 45'
>> >
>> >MySql is ruuning but the database is located at 'local/mysql' and the
>> >mysql.sock socket is present.   This is setup in /etc/my.cnf
>> >
>> >How can I change the test to reference the current setup?
>> >

>> >Thanks, Dave

>--
>Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>37 Crystal Ave. #303                   Daytime number: (603) 434-6842
>Derry NH 03038-1713 USA                        Intel architecture: the left-hand path

Thanks Brian,   Setting the environment variable worked.  Dbi/dbm is now
installed!

To clarify my other posts, my data is on '/local/mysql'  where '/local' is
defined as most of disk available.

mysql is running as a user and I was trying to run the install dbi/dbm as
root. It would not run as the user either.

I did have a little problem in setting the variable.  I used the command:

               export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT='/local/mysql/mysql.sock'

Then displayed the environment with
               export

I sure you know this but thought I would explain what I did in case some
one else has a similiar problem.

Thanks agzin,  Dave