Have you considered replication?  There's a pretty good chapter in the MySQL
manual on how to objectively determine the benefit to a master/slave setup
with n slaves (it depends on how often writes happen to the database).

----- Original Message -----
From: "vinod panicker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 1:24 PM
Subject: Scaling mysql

> hey,
>     i'm having a problem with scaling a mysql server.  This is the
situation... i have a database with 5 tables containing user data.  Except
one, all the other tables have only 2 fields.  This data is queried often
and needs to be accessed by multiple web servers.  Each table would contain
something like 500,000 to 1,000,000 records.  I'm using PHP to access the
mysql database.  The system would be experiencing loads of 5000 concurrent
users.
>      Tips on how to scale this database to handle such a load would be
very helpful.  The H/W is pretty good - 2 gigs of RAM and a dual CPU.