One more thing:
In the processlist:

 | Delayed_insert | 578  | reschedule      | log_day_20010307

After another minute (now over 10 minutes to reschedule) I get a _lot_ of
these:

 | Query          | 9    | waiting for handler insert | insert delayed into
logging.log_day_20010307 ...

Which fills up all processes and locks up the server and in the error log
there is:
010307 18:08:33  Delayed insert thread couldn't get requested lock for table
log_day_20010307

Also, I have a BIG trace file for this, but I forgot to let it continue
until a crash. Oops.

FYI

-steve-