What is your key buffer size? In my case, key buffer size is set
to 384mb .. and mysqld starts out small, perhaps 18mb and grows
within a day to 100mb, and within a few days to pretty much 300+mb
..so it is doing what one would expect it to.

The other mem parameters combine in ways explained in the memory
usage document.. so depending on those, I expect 300 threads could
eat a lot of memory, which is not returned to the OS.

-Justin

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 11:35:20PM -0800, Mike Wexler wrote:
> I have a server that averages 256 queries/sec.
> It maxes out at 1187 queries/sec.
> It averages about 100 threads and maxes out at about 300.
> I've never experienced the problems below with corrupted tables, but I
> have been experiencing an interesting problem lately.
> Normally the server uses about 20-40MB of memory as reported by top.
> After running for a week or so, the memory usage will spike to 150-250
> MB. Of course this causes additional paging, which slows the server
> down, which causes the CGI scripts that talk to the server to take
> longer to complete, which creates more instances of the CGI scripts,
> which creates more threads, which creates more memory usage in the
> server.
>
> Any idea, what might be causing the memory usage to spike in the first
> place? Any ideas how to prevent it?
>
> "Jeremy D. Zawodny" wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 01:16:20AM -0500, Justin wrote:
> > >
> > > Well thats good to know.. although this is sustained 24x7x365
> >
> > My average rate over the last 67 days is about 52/second. In reality
> > we have some periods of much higher load (several hundred per second)
> > and some of much lower load. It is just about to hit the 300,000,000
> > query mark since it was last shut down (for the upgrade 67 days ago).
> >
> > I'd like to hit a billion queries before the next downtime, but who
> > knows...
> >
> > I'm currently running 3.23.29-gamma using the staticly linked version
> > from mysql.com.
> >
> > > in an attempt to get stability, I've been running on the official
> > > 3.22.32 mysql binary for a month now .. it hasn't helped.
> >
> > I'd highly recommend upgrading to 3.23.xx. You should see better
> > performance with MyISAM tables. I'd also highly recommend using a
> > static binary from the mysql web site.
> >
> > > Typically indexes get corrupted and cause selects to malfunction,
> > > OR, cause mysqld to crash, OR cause count(*) or distinct(*) queries
> > > to run in infinite loops, but not necessarily on the corrupt table.
> > > it seems to me index corruption can poison the server beyond the
> > > afflicted table.
> >
> > Certainly can. If a thread starts to suck cpu time, the whole system
> > will suffer and start to spiral down into places you'd rather not
> > look.
> >
> > Jeremy
> > --
> > Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
> > Desk: (408) 328-7878    Fax: (408) 530-5454
> > Cell: (408) 439-9951

Justin Beech                      http://www.dslreports.com
Phone:212-269-7052 x252             FAX inbox: 212-937-3800
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] --- http://dslreports.com/contacts