hey..
   thanks for the info...

   This is the my.cnf file that i'm using -

[mysqld]
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=640M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=10M
set-variable    = table_cache=640
set-variable    = sort_buffer=6M
set-variable    = record_buffer=6M
set-variable    = thread_cache=16
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=16
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
log-bin
server-id       = 1
set-variable    = max_connections=2000
set-variable    = max_connect_errors=10000
set-variable    = back_log=2900
set-variable    = connect_timeout=15
set-variable    = wait_timeout=57600
set-variable    = interactive_timeout=57600

Now the problem that i've managed to track down is -
When the CPU hits 100%, mysql crashes.  This behaviour
has been consistent across many many runs.  I would
definitely not like the database server to crash.  A
loss in performance is expected but a crash is most
definitely not.  As u can see, the limits are set
pretty high on the system.  Memory usage is not even
150MB.  What's the reason?  and the partial backtrace
that i'm getting is the same after every crash.

Any ideas?

Tx.
Vinod.