> We've had fairly bad luck with Linux 2.2.X and SMP for any kind of high-end
> system.  The DAC 960 SCSI controllers proved to be fairly problematic in this
> environment.  Sometimes updating the drivers helps.  We have a couple of
> systems that run much better when we do not use one of the CPUs.

Just to offer another data point, we've had great luck with SMP Linux
2.2.x and the DAC 960 controller (a Mylex AcceleRAID 352).

Debian Potato Linux 2.2.17 SMP, up 134 days.
MySQL 3.23.32 up 39 days, Queries/second avg: 753.

It's a dual 933 PIII w/2gb ram.  No table corruption.  We don't even
use precompiled binaries ;)

Obviously one person's good experience doesn't mean there's not a
problem somewhere, but we sure haven't had any trouble, and it's not
for lack of hammering on it.

--
Pete Harlan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]