I think that Benjamin was trying to make a point here regarding an easily reproducible
scenario (I don't care if you wanna call it a "security flaw" or a "flying pig") under
some conditions which are not that hard to come upon in the real world.

The problem that really comes to mind is that some people think mysql is the next big
thing after instant coffee. Most people, probably me included, made the mysql choice
without much thought or background search. The infering mechanism usually is 'it is
popular'=>'it must be good'. So even more people join in, so it gets more popular...ad
infinitum.

I only realized how many things were missing after I started using it, and I'm not
willing to give it up because I don't really have any real-world/high-volume/critical
application needs and there is still stuff to learn working with it. As long as I can
play around and it doesn't crash every other day, I'm happy.

regards,
thalis