You can't.  You'll have to regenerate a new, random password and send that
out.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 7:27 AM
Subject: Password function

Peeps,

My problem is this. I'm not happy about storing plain text passwords in my
database for users, so was considering using the password () function in
order to store a hash of the password instead.

sample SQL.

$sql = "SELECT login,IPaddress,password,administrator,valid
 FROM $user_details_table
 WHERE IPaddress =\"$address\" OR (login =\"$username\" AND password =
password(\"$password\"))
 ";

now I don't have any problems writing to the database, or extracting either.
The problem is I want to include one of those "Forgotten your password ?"
entry points to email the user their password.  How can I insert into an
email their password, i.e. reverse the password function ? Cant find it
documented anywhere.

Much appreciated

Kevin Williams