Dear friends, I am quite new to MySql and database
development in general. I am doing my first db ever. I
came across a problem following the instructios in teh
book beginning PHP4 by Wankyu et al., Wrox.

The exercise is to create a user table, contaning user
id?s and passwords. The authentification is done by
selecting rows with same username and password entered
in a form. So fas so good. The problem is that they
insists that to make the whole thing more secure, we
user de Password MySql server function. So we select
form the table username and Password(password). And it
doesn?t work for me. I have check direct, by entering
the commands direct on a shell window and what hapens
is that if I create an account with INSERT ...., using
as password, for expample PASSWORD(?123456?), I see
that for this string it alwais creates de same
encryptede string, when I repit de command. But if I
say SELECT PASSWORD(?123456?) a different string is
created, hence not matchind the one stored, and making
the script mentioned in de book anworkable.

Does any one who is more expereinced than me on this
matters have an explanation for this? I would be very
thankful.

http://uk.my.yahoo.com